[Discussion] the launch party

Nevyn nevynh at gmail.com
Fri Nov 19 20:20:30 NZDT 2010

On 19 November 2010 11:57, Jaco - WorkShop Enterprises
<jaco at workshop.gen.nz> wrote:
> On 18/11/10 15:49, Robin Paulson wrote:
>> someone mentioned a barbecue, and possibly a DJ?
>
> Cool! May (tentatively) have a DJ or 2 sorted.
> Will bring 'em by over the weekend or at next Tue's meeting to check out
> the venue.
>
> He asked about existing audio equipment to plug into (otherwise they'll
> need to bring their own), and possible requests.
>
> - J

We're kind of talking about 2 different things here. Music for an
event AND music for the space.

On the first point, I wonder if a bit of a dance party is the best
impression for launching a space for communicating, community and
creative pursuits. I get it's an unpopular opinion given the
discussion here although I'm not sure which point people are
responding to (music in the space at music for the event).

On the second point, personally, I'm quite happy to not have to have
music in the space during normal times. No one should feel the need to
leave because they find that the music is obnoxious thus the space is
now unsuitable to pursuits where they need to concentrate (if you're
someone who doesn't concentrate well while listening to music or music
that they don't like).

Regards,
Nevyn
http://nevsramblings.blogspot.com/