[Discussion] Red Bull derby

Robin Paulson robin at bumblepuppy.org
Wed Jul 3 12:07:15 NZST 2013

On Tue, Jul 02, 2013 at 10:09:22AM +1200, Jaco van der Merwe - Workshop Enterprises Ltd. wrote:
> Just got this post @ the FB page:
> http://tgp.redbull.com/nz/en#home
>
> The Red Bull downhill race/derby is coming up.
>
> Would this be something we could get around?
> Possibly something awesome we could do in collaboration with Tumeke -
> seeing as we have *heaps* of bits & pieces needing to be put to good use?

i looked at this a few years ago with house mates, we decided it was a bad idea.
the first problem was the performance, as calvin suggests. it is far more
important than the race/time.

which brings me to the second problem. this is part of red bull's admittedly
very effective marketing programme, something which is of course necessary when
all you sell is fizzy water worth 2c. if you take part in this, you are
effectively being red bull's unpaid marketing lackeys for the day. it's not
about a race, it's about selling cans of sugary water. if you're ok with that,
go for it.

if on the other hand, you can come up with a way of subverting what red bull
wants, i'm in, straight away