[Discussion] the rules discussion, last saturday, and this coming saturday

Robin Paulson robin at bumblepuppy.org
Mon Sep 30 01:05:57 NZDT 2013

hi all,
there was an interesting discussion on saturday, about 8 people showed
up. we talked about how to write a rule which sets out limits on what
can be done with the resources tangle ball owns and controls. we were in
broad agreement, although did not progress beyond that. i think we got
sidetracked, and we didn't finish it off. next week i'd like to see us
focus on one area, whatever it us doesn't necessarily matter, although
personally i think it should be something high level.

that said, it appears to me the most obvious place to start would be
with something which states how we relate to each other as people, the
rights we have, the things which are forbidden, etc. so, i wrote this:

=====
Tangle Ball and its members recognise and support "x", and condemn any
action which is in contravention to the wording and spirit of "x". Any
behaviour which conflicts with the Rights set out in "x" will not be
permitted within Tangle Ball, or in any way which is deemed to be
associated with Tangle Ball *. Any action which does so may result in
expulsion, court trespass order, suspension of access to Tangle Ball
and/or its resources, and any other action(s) as deemed appropriate by
the members or Committee of Tangle Ball.
=====

where "x" is a declaration of human rights which we construct, or
possibly some already existing human rights declaration - there are lots
around by various government, non-profits, etc. which we choose can be
dealt with separately to the wording of the above. wayne suggested "x"
be the United Nations Universal Declaration of Human Rights [1],
although i'm not entirely sure about that. it's mostly good, there are a
few things I disagree with though.

* by the second part of this sentence, i'm trying to cover for events
which are outside the Tangle Ball building, but which are still
associated with Tangle Ball. So, for example, our actions and those of
visitors at the upcoming event at the Library should be covered by the
same rules.

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universal_Declaration_of_Human_Rights
     http://www.un.org/en/documents/udhr/index.shtml

could we talk through this on saturday, unless someone has another idea
they think particularly important?

--
robin

What the world needs now, is love sweet love