30-something South African expatriate, living & working in NZ for a little over 2 years now.
Been involved in numerous industries, including (but bit limited to):
- IT & Telecoms
- Media & Advertising
- even part-owner of a cemetery
Enjoy a *very wide* field of interests.
Presently starting up own business, Workshop Enterprises Ltd, providing support to NZ small & medium business (SME/SMB), specializing in (hopefully) providing OpenSource based solutions. As such, am on the lookout for skilled individuals willing to participate; either in exchange for work/resources from other participants, or for an income (job-by-job). At this stage it's all in flux, until a clear notion is formulated of how the business is to proceed.
Since there are parallels, hoping to model the business along similar lines (turning a "hobby" into a profession)
Random Project Ideas
- Steampunk it all!
- DiscoBall helmet
- Build a Freedom Toaster
- Stirling Engine generator
- Compressed air regenerative motor (motor/generator-combo)
- Weekly Meeting PodCast/VidCast
- Projector + Kinect + WiiMotes + Multi-Users + RFID + X + frikkin' lasers on my head = whole lot of awesomeness!
- Building an ant/bee-based computational engine
- Arduino/Android-based Baby Monitor
- VoIP switch/gateway: SIP and/or XMPP, Asterisk or FreeSwitch, etc
- "Hacking my car"
- Remote-control/autonomous 'bot mower/vacuum cleaner/sentry/helper-bot
- ref: Arduino Wifly Mini
- Asset tracking: bar-code, RFID and/or QR Code
- WiFi HotSpot
- "Cloud DJ":
- "Nebula DJ": interactive A/V mixing/mashup, with multiple I/O; taking multiple input sources, interfacing with multiple controls, outputting to multiple devices
- Input: physical content (CD, vinyl, radio signals, etc), digital content (OGG, FLAC, MP3, etc), streams (last.fm, libre.fm, shoutcasts, soundcloud, etc), DLNA, network, etc
- Control: MIDI controllers, digital mixers, keyboard, mouse, touchpads, gesture input/motion control (kinect), voice input, networked devices, web interfaces, joystick, etc
- Output: Audio, Video (screens, projector), networked devices, streams, frikkin' lasers, robots, etc
- Kite hacks
- Rube Goldberg Machine
- Learn to make moulds (& combine with using a RepRap)
- (see above)
- Sign-language gesture text input
- Alternative Locomotion:
- mud/tidal-flat racer
- "WikiLinux": Interface Linux with a wiki interface to allow the collaborative interaction with the host OS.
- Access filesystem via wiki-like interface; track changes, roll-backs, userspace
- HTML5 GUI/WM
- DIY rack-chassis
- Google-style units
- Integrated battery for UPS
- Micro-controller integration:
- Alerts: Case open
- Thermal monitor
- Remote power & reboot
- R2D2 or Dalek form-factor
- Web, Android
- Voice & Gesture
- Audio prompts & synth
- Light displays
- WebCam with laser-pointer
- Rudimentary grip
- Augmentable appendages
- Laser, IR & Ultasound range-finder & collision-avoidance
- Scavenger Hunt: a MMORPG Augmented Reality GeoCaching game, making creative use of QR codes & mobiles
- Multitouch Interface - ref: nuigroup.com